When I was in Bali I had the most delicious Red Velvet Latte that was a rich red color from none other than beets! I found myself craving this delicious latte but wasn't up for a warm beverage in this Spring weather. Instead, I created a smoothie! I enjoyed my smoothie has a bedtime snack but if you prepare it in the morning you could add a shot of espresso for a Red Velvet Iced Latte Smoothie! Wow, that's a mouthful!
If you've been following my blog for a while, you might recall the formula I use to build all my meals. It's called the Fun Four! We teach the formula in all of our one-on-one and group programs! The Fun Four Formula is a simple yet effective way to design purposeful meals that balance blood sugars. When your blood sugars are balanced you'll feel energized, satisfied, and ready to take on whatever the day brings!
This smoothie is Fun Four approved with:
- Protein: plain Greek yogurt and protein powder
- Fats: frozen avocado
- Fibre-Filled Carb: beets
- Volume: frozen strawberries and a handful of spinach
- Freebie: unsweetened almond milk and cacao powder!
You can mix and match the ingredients to create your perfect smoothie. For example, the frozen avocado can be exchanged with 2 tablespoon of chia seeds or ground flax seed. I had vanilla protein powder on hand but if you have chocolate protein powder you can use that and omit at least one tablespoon of the cacao powder.
I love drinking my smoothie from a mason jar. Screw on the lid and you can take it for an on-the-go snack or breakfast!
- Red Velvet Latte: Add a shot of espresso for a morning pick-me-up and to turn this smoothie into a frozen latte.
- Dairy-Free: Make it dairy-free by using a full scoop of plant based protein powder and omitting the plain Greek yogurt
- Red Fruits: Any red fruit will work. Try frozen raspberries or dark frozen cherries
- What's the difference between cocoa and cacao powder? I answered that question here.
Did you try this recipe? Tag me in your recipe creations on Instagram @vitalitynutrition_. I love seeing your creations!